Here at PARL we understand that sometimes it becomes necessary to give up a pet. We have your pet’s best interests in mind, as we do all the other pets that come through our doors every day. We are committed to providing the very best care and helping your pet and all the other pets in our care find as many new forever homes as we can. Understanding the difficulty of such a separation, we are here to help you make the process as simple as possible for you and your pet. Listed here are some guidelines to assist you in this difficult time.
- An appointment is required to surrender your pet. Surrender appointments are scheduled Tuesday - Friday 11:30am - 4:00pm (Thursdays 12:30pm - 4:00pm). Please call (401) 421-1399 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to learn more about our intake process or schedule an appointment. The appointment process is necessary because it allows our staff adequate time to provide the best possible assistance for you and for your pet.
- The animal’s owner MUST be present at the time of surrender.
- Please bring a photo ID.
- Please bring past or present vaccination records and veterinarian history. This history is very important and will help in your pets adoption.. If you do not have a copy handy, it will be helpful if you can call your vet and either pick up a copy or ask them to email or fax us a copy.
- Please bring any medications that your pet is currently on.
- You are encouraged to bring any belongings including favorite toys, treats, food and supplies.
- Please plan on bringing your dog(s) in on a leash and collar and cat(s) in a carrier. They will most likely be stressed from the car ride and this will assist in keeping them as calm and safe as possible as our staff guides you through the surrender process in our office area.
- Please contact our shelter staff at 401-421-1399 or reception @parl.org.
Rabbits & Small Animal Enclosures Welcome – If you can, please surrender your rabbit or small animal cage along with your pet. Amounts of these animals at our shelter fluctuate and your pet will be able to be placed up for adoption sooner if an enclosure is included.
We ask for a surrender fee to help cover the cost of your pet’s care while he or she stays with us. Your donation allows PARL to continue to care for your pet and the thousands of animals that we receive on a yearly basis by helping to defray the cost of providing veterinary services, food, and shelter.
- Single Animal - $40
- Litter of kittens/puppies - $60
- Rabbits - $15
- Other Small Animals
The Providence Animal Rescue League makes every effort to place healthy, friendly animals into loving forever homes. However, we cannot guarantee the placement of your surrendered pet. The placement of an individual dog, cat or other animal for adoption at our shelter is based on an evaluation of his or her health and temperament, as well as available kennel space. Once we place an animal up for adoption, there is no set time limit for which he or she can remain up for adoption.