THANK YOU FOR YOUR INTEREST IN VOLUNTEERING
Due to the pandemic, we are not currently accepting new in-shelter volunteers. If you'd like to help animals in need during this time, here are some ways to get involved from home:
Become a foster
We are looking for dedicated animal lovers to join our foster team and provide temporary care for our animals in the comfort of their own homes. Fostering with PARL can be a short commitment (a few days to 3 weeks) or a long commitment (3 weeks to a few months) depending on what you are interested in. Learn more
donate items to help animals
- Organize a donation drive in your neighborhood or office and collect items from our Wish List
- Clean out your pantry and linen closets and donate items you may not be using:
- Clean towels of all sizes
- Clean pillow cases and flat sheets
- Cans of baby food (meat flavors), tuna fish, canned green beans/carrots (no salt added), or peanut butter
- Save your toilet paper and paper towel rolls and empty tissue boxes and bring them to PARL. We'll use them to make interactive toys and enrichment activities for dogs, cats, and small animals.
Get crafty and make toys for cats, dogs, and small animals
Grow and Donate Cat Grass
- Cat grass is nutritionally beneficial for cats and they enjoy eating it. Visit your local pet store and ask about cat grass seeds or growing kits. Once you grow a container of cat grass, you can donate to our shelter cats.
Make a Cat Octopus
- Choose a few fabric strips for the toy
- If desired, sprinkle a bit of cat nip in the middle of one strip and fold over
- Tie the rest of the strips around it to secure the cat nip, making an octopus-like shape
Make a Braided Rope Toy for Dogs
- Choose one bundle of strips of fabric.
- Separate it into three equal parts.
- Begin to braid these parts as tightly as possible so the toy is sturdy.
- Thread on tennis balls where desired.
- Braid until the toy is slightly longer than your desired length and tie the strands in a knot.
Make Toys from Paper Towel and Toilet Paper Rolls
raise money to fuel our mission and programs
- Start a Facebook Fundraiser to benefit PARL
- Ask for donations to PARL in honor of your birthday, wedding, or special occasion
- If you own your own business, consider running a special campaign in which you donate a portion of the proceeds for a selected product or time frame to PARL